Dams and reservoirs
A string of huge dams and reservoirs now line the Volga and its major tributary, the Kama River, converting them from free-flowing rivers to chains of man-made lakes. All the reservoir complexes include hydroelectric power stations and navigation locks.
The uppermost complex on the Volga, the Ivankovo , with a reservoir covering 126 square miles, was completed in 1937, and the next complex, at Uglich (96 square miles), was put into operation in 1939.
The Rybinsk Reservoir, completed in 1941 and encompassing an area of about 1,750 square miles, was the first of the large reservoir projects. Following World War II, work continued below Rybinsk.
The reservoirs at Nizhny Novgorod and Samara were both completed in 1957, and the Cheboksary Reservoir, located between them, became operational in 1980.
The huge reservoir at Samara, withan area of some 2,300 square miles, is the largest of the Volga reservoir system; it not only impounds the waters of the Volga but also backs water up the Kama for some 375 miles.
The Saratov and Volgograd reservoirs (completed in 1968 and 1962, respectively) are the last such bodies on the Volga itself. The chain on the Kama consists of three reservoirs, the newest of which - the Lower Kama Reservoir - became operational in 1979.
There are a total of eight hydroelectric stations on the Volga and three on the Kama, which combined have an installed generating capacity of some 11 million kilowatts of power.
The Volga, navigable for some 2,000 miles, and its more than 70 navigable tributaries carry more than half of all Soviet inland freight and nearly half of all the passengers who use Soviet inland waterways.
Construction materials and raw materials account for about 80 percent of the total freight; other cargoes include petroleum and petroleum products, coal, foodstuffs, salt, tractors and agricultural machinery, automobiles, chemical apparatus, and fertilizers. The major ports on the Volga are Tver, Rybinsk, Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Ulyanovsk (formerly Simbirsk), Samara, Saratov, Kamyshin, Volgograd, and Astrakhan.
The Volga is joined to the Baltic Sea by the Volga-Baltic Waterway, which, in turn, is joined to the White Sea (via Lake Onega) by the White Sea-Baltic Canal; to the Moscow River, and hence to Moscow, by the Moscow Canal; and to the Sea of Azov by the Volga-Don Ship Canal. The river has thus become integrated with virtually the entire waterway system of eastern Europe.
Although the extensive development of the Volga has made a major contribution to the Soviet economy, it also has had adverse ecological consequences. The system of dams and reservoirs has blocked or severely curtailed access for such anadromous species as the beluga sturgeon (famous for the caviar made from its roe) and whitefish (belorybitsa), which live in the Caspian Sea but spawn in the Volga and other inflowing rivers, and it has fundamentally altered the habitat of the nearly 70 species of fish native to the river.
These changes - along with pollution by industrial and municipal effluents and by agricultural runoff - have led to deterioration of the major Volga fisheries.
Water loss by impoundment and evaporation and by diversion (chiefly for irrigation) have diminished discharge at the mouth of the Volga compared with natural conditions, and this has contributed to an almost steady decline in the level of the Caspian Sea since 1930. Intensive efforts to alleviate these man-made influences, however, have been under way for a number of years. For example, some three-fifths of the Caspian sturgeon are now bred artificially rather than in their natural spawning grounds.